Dwelling / House

What is the minimum size for a building before you need a building approval?
The Building Act 1975 requires all buildings in a cyclone area to have a building approval.

Do you need a termite certificate for a steel framed house?

What information do you need to determine a wind rating for a specific area?
Site specific.  The following items are taken into consideration:

  • Geographic region,
  • Terrain Category,
  • Shielding Classification and
  • Topographic Classification.

What is the minimum height for a door in a dwelling?
No minimum height for Residential – Class 1a.  For Class 1b to Class 9 it is 2040mm.

How can I have a dwelling classed as an extension and not as an individual dwelling?
Site specific.  However, ‘Dual Occupancy’ MCU from the local council will be required to enable 2 dwellings on one site.

Do you need approval for a divider wall between two rooms if it does not go all the way to the roof?
Site specific. Generally depends on the structural integrity and how the divider will affect the use of the rooms.

What is QBSA Insurance and when does it apply?
The Queensland Building Services Authority Insurance is an Insurance Levy paid by a Registered Builder for work carried out on Domestic Work.

QBSA Insurance is required where the cost of works is over $3,300 and work is being carried out by a licensed Builder.

Do you do pre-purchase inspections?

When is a building permit required?
A building permit is required before carrying out most types of building work. The approval process involves assessment by a Building Certifier against the Building Act 1975 and associated regulations and standards, and the issue of a building permit/approval.

When in doubt whether a building permit is required, enquiries should be made through the Council or a private Building Certifier.

For enquiries about whether a building permit is required, how to apply for a building permit or the standards applicable to building work, contact either:

  • Your local council building certifier; or
  • A private Building Certifier – look under ‘Building Certification Services’ in the Yellow Pages, Local Directory or contact Coastal Building Approval Service on 07 4942 0266.

What other approvals may be required?

  • There are a number of aspects that may require Council approval, such as a reduction of a minimum building setback from a boundary or any impact the work may have on the amenity or aesthetics of the neighbourhood, or site coverage over 50%, etc.
  • Owners can obtain more information on this directly from the Council or through a private certifier.
  • Aspects of domestic building work such as the maximum height, setback or character of a building may also be controlled under a council planning scheme. In these cases, it is necessary to obtain a planning permit from the Council before a building permit can be issued.
  • Owners can check with the Council to determine if planning approval will be required.

If I have all the information required to start my application how long before I can start building?
10 – 20 working days from ‘Properly Made’.  A Decision Notice (permit to commence building work) must have been issued and fees must be paid.

What is properly made?
A ‘Properly Made’ application contains all relevant document/plans required for your specific job.  You should find a check sheet in your information pack.  If not, please call the office and we will supply you with one.

Who can issue a building permit/Approval?
Either a private Building Certifier or your local Council can issue a building permit.

However, a private certifier cannot issue a building permit until the Council gives all other necessary approvals, such as a preliminary approval under the planning scheme for assessment of the character of the building, or a reduction of a minimum building setback from a boundary, or a Compliance Permit for Septic System (rural), or site coverage over 50% etc.